Spring is a busy time for small business owners and entrepreneurs, so we want to ensure that AWA provides tools and resources that can help you.
In this issue of Insights, learn about Small Business Week and how to participate, as well as what our advocacy partner Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council has to offer. Learn more in the Business section.
Are you struggling to find time to get physically active? There are some ideas in the Health & Lifestyle section. We've also reviewed some of the best Apps available to help give members ideas for nutritious snacking and health & wellness to keep you on track this year.
If you have been looking for dental or term life benefits to add to your AWA membership, check out AWA Benefits to see what options might be the right fit for you.
We are committed to finding out how the AWA can be of value to you and your family, so watch for a member survey coming soon to gather your feedback. Also, please follow AWA on social media for the latest news and information on small business, health and consumer topics.
As always, be sure to visit members.affiliatedworkersassociation.org or contact Member Services at (855) 351-7536 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions regarding your membership.
The Affiliated Workers Association Board of Directors
Visit our blog - Pulse - for timely articles on small business, health and lifestyle topics! Stay up to date by following AWA on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter too.
Click below to follow AWA!
New AWA Dental Benefits Available
Did you know that during a regular dental check-up, dentists aren't just checking for cavities, but also cancer? April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month and it is important to schedule regular oral evaluations with your dentist to help detect such cancers early.
One of our newest dental membership levels, AWA Premier Dental, can pay for services like routine oral evaluations and cleanings, as well as procedures like root canals or dentures. With no deductibles or coinsurance, these fixed indemnity insured dental benefits pay first dollar coverage for members and their dependents. Plus, this membership includes additional educational resources like MouthHealthy™ to help manage you and your family's oral healthcare.
If you are interested in adding dental benefits like AWA Premier Dental to your AWA membership, please call (855) 351-7536.
Term Life Benefits
AWA Members* have the opportunity to upgrade your existing membership with Life Insurance Benefits, underwritten by Amalgamated Life Insurance Company. Plan for your family's future with four coverage options: $15,000 / $12,500 / $10,000 / $5,000
All amounts are Guarantee Issued for the primary member. And all AWA Life Insurance Benefits include an Accelerated Death Benefit where coverage applies at 50% to $7,500 with a 12-month life expectancy.
Monthly rates begin as low as $15.00. Call (855) 351-7535 to add Life Insurance Benefits to your AWA membership today!
*This offer is only available to the primary member of an AWA membership plan that includes limited benefit and/or accident insurance benefits. Term life is not a stand-alone benefit and requires maintaining an active membership with limited benefit and/or accident insurance.
Small Business Week
This year's National Small Business Week will be held from May 5-11, 2019. Make the most of this week by participating in these events:
- May 3-5 - Small Business Week Hackathon to help solve real business challenges. Register here.
- May 6 - Live events on the SBA Facebook page, including Social Media Tips for Small Business.
- May 7-8 - The U.S. Small Business Administration and SCORE Association will host a free, 2-Day Virtual Conference during Small Business Week. Register today on the SBA Small Business Week site.
- May 8 - Entrepreneur.com is hosting a webinar for small businesses, "Turn Small Biz into Smart Biz: Technology for Growth, Productivity, and Customer Experience." Register on the Entrepreneur website.
- May 10 - SBA is hosting a Twitter Chat at 12 pm ET on how to Start and Grow a Small Business. Find the discussion with #SmallBusinessWeek.
Be sure to visit the SBA website to sign up for updates on the free resources and webinars that will be available to small business owners that week.
Advocacy for Small Business Owners
We recognize that small business owners and entrepreneurs might feel like no one is fighting in their corner when it comes to recent legislature and political moves. Our partnership with the Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council now gives all AWA members a voice in Washington D.C.
Review the SBE Council's 2019 Policy Agenda for Entrepreneurs and Small Business to find out how they are striving to make a difference this year. You can review the letters they have distributed to Congress, as well as their testimony, as a champion to the Small Business agenda.
For regular updates on the progress against this agenda, all AWA members have access to the Small Business Insider updates, which are published on a regular basis. To get involved and stay connected, opt in to the SBE Council's weekly e-News and special alerts.
Staying Motivated to Move
April has been designated as Move More Month, which is a great time to commit to being more physically active. As a small business owner or entrepreneur, finding the time to dedicate to exercise and healthy living can be challenging, but worth the effort. The American Heart Association provides inspirational tips and resources designed to inspire a healthier lifestyle and create lasting changes through easy steps that you can begin today.
Science shows that being more physically active has many benefits for your heart, brain and overall well-being. Take advantage of all your opportunities to sit less and move more while you work. Every minute you move adds up, so make it count!
- Make it a habit to take the stairs instead of the elevator, for at least a floor or two. Once it gets easier, add another floor.
- Stuck on a long call or need an energizing break? Stand up and do some basic strength and balance exercises, like squats, desk push-ups, wall sits, calf raises, tree pose and chair pose.
- Keep small hand weights or a resistance band at your desk for bicep curls, lateral raises, rows, and overhead presses. Watch demos online or work with a fitness trainer to make sure you’re doing exercises correctly to avoid injury.
- Use a breakroom or restroom that is farther away, maybe even on another floor – and take the stairs each time you go.
- Form a walking club to walk together at work and participate in local walking events as a team.
- Get off the bus or train a few blocks early and walk the rest of the way. If you drive to work, park farther away from the entrance.
- Walk to a nearby restaurant for lunch instead of driving or ordering in.
Other tips for success:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing so it is easy to move when you can.
- Schedule physical activity breaks and reminders as appointments on your calendar so you can prioritize them when they pop up.
Apps For Getting Moving
7 Minute Workout– This app guides you through a 7 minute workout, as well as routines with varying duration and intensity. A Smart Workout feature also functions as a personal trainer.
Available for IOS and Android.
Stridekick – Connect to any fitness track to create and join step challenges. This app also includes insights into your activity data to help you be at the top of your game.
Available for IOS and Android.
Endomondo– Turns your phone into a personal trainer. This app also allows you to connect with friends for more motivation and encouragement, as well as get feedback from an audio coach.
Available for IOS and Android.